Sunday, March 19, 2017

Eucalyptus propagation

11 days ago I soaked eucalyptus seeds before sowing them. 3 days later they looked like this, resembling black tea:
I put them on rockwool plugs because from my ficus propagation experience, they proved to be the most performant. At the same time it became apparent that not all particles in the seed bag were actually seeds:
Just couple days later many seeds started to germinate! It's fun to see how they immediately start to suck water from plug, looking like small alien leeches:
Next morning, cotyledons appeared:
I decided this is time to move them to soil, so that night I took freshly arrived akadama soil (I hope there's no insults written in Japanese):
And filled bottom halves of nursery cells with it. I believe at this stage akadama may be too coarse for these little seedlings, so I'm using it for its drainage and to raise soil level.
Akadama makes pleasant hiss and changes color when it adsorbs water
I put premixed compost/pumice/maybe-lava as top layer to make sure it doesn't dry accidentally and is fine enough for little roots to dig in.
By that time, some seedlings were already few millimeters tall and were holding to plugs very tightly. I actually severed some of them white I tried to pull them out. Probably, I should've either acted faster when roots are not rooted too deep or later, when stems are less fragile and more convenient to grab.

Approximately 80 seeds have germinated, so I used 2 nurseries and put 3-4 seedlings to each cell. Next day, almost all of them looked well and even very small ones were growing up.
Then, couple days later, almost all seedlings in one nursery, the smaller ones, suddenly died. The reason was definitely not drying nor freezing. I suspect they might have been exposed to too much heat during partially sunny day, but I'm not really sure. Other version is that they didn't receive enough sun, because I kept them in shady shelve of my greenhouse. Also, in this nursery I initially put the smallest seedlings, so they may have been genetically inferior. Either way, only one of this group have survived.
At the same time, in second nursery, which I kept on top shelve of greenhouse and there the largest seedlings grew,  almost everybody survived and are growing, making total over 30 plants so far:
So 9 days after sowing and 6 days after transplantation, some plants are starting to develop second pairs of leaves:

No comments:

Post a Comment