Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Slip potting

It's been just 9 days since I moved my 12 plants to a larger nursery and it appears too small already. Edge seedlings touch lid tightly and are injured when I close it.
Roots are sticking out of many cells, so it's time to slip pot them anyway. I'm going to try it on two plants first. I'll use small clear polypropylene glasses. It might also be interesting to see through them. 
I took two largest seedlings and reshuffled others to form 4x2 cells. Something tells me these guys will overgrow their new increased space pretty soon.
I'm not increasing soil volume dramatically and almost not increasing height. Just a little more room for roots and some fresh soil. 
Trees came out of their original pots pretty easily. It's amazing how just 6 weeks ago they were so small that I had to use tiny strips of paper to move them without smashing and now I can pretty much hold them with my fingers!
There's a lot of roots, they are stiff to touch and smell OK, but color is kind of yellow on some parts. Hopefully that's not something like root rot
I'm not really touching roots this time, and I'm mostly keeping old soil where it is. Just removing top layer with pesky green algae, anyway there's no roots to harm there.

One of the cells had two plants. Younger one is something like 2 weeks younger but grows much slower. It's not a big problem so far, I'm keeping it as it is. Look how big brother hugs smaller one:
So here they are, my champions. Hopefully they'll thrive in their personal villas:

I also have personal heating mat for them, and additional height will balance the fact they're in the second row now:

No comments:

Post a Comment